The Busy Giffs: Day 18 — A time when you felt passionate and alive

January 22, 2011

Day 18 — A time when you felt passionate and alive

It was really long time ago and I almost feel guilty bringing it up now because it makes me realize how long I've been neglecting it.

When I was younger I was very involved in church. No, I'm not one of those people who believes that a man in a robe is going to meet me at some pearly set of gates, but that's beside the point.. that's the not the focus of this blog.  The most passionate I have ever felt about "doing" something was when I was sixteen years old, well the week of February vacation when I was turning 16 years old.  2002? Shit. I spent a week working in a shelter, a Boys & Girls Club and the Food Bank.

I know Ive said before that when I was younger I was convinced I was going to go to other countries and help the poorest and most unfortunate people I could find, but with my resources, this was the best i could do. Which brings me back to church.  It was a mission trip with my Youth Group.  We spent a week in Boston, staying in a rectory, and each morning we would go to a new place and help out. For five days.  My birthday was the Wednesday of that week and i remember being in the conference room of the Greater Boston Food Bank and they gave me a t-shirt to celebrate my birthday. That's all I wanted.

Granted, i had an AMAZING 16th birthday courtesy of my mom but in that day, right there, that's all I needed. In my small way, i was living out the dream I had created and was making the world better just by being in it and doing something. Between my trip to Belize and my desire to do a Habitat project, I know that I will never stop wanting to d these things, and the more I can bring them into my life, the more fulfilling it will be.  The shirt I was given had a quote on it and 'll never forget it; makes you questions what you do and maybe, even make you a better person:

Live simply, so others may simply live.

<3

Holiday Hot Toy: LuvaBella Doll

The LuvaBella Doll was provided in exchange for this review, however, as always all thoughts and opinions are my own. This post contains af...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...